Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Mystery Mangroves


Materials: sterling silver, 3mm tourmaline cab
Size: pods are +/- 3cm in length

These are the first mangrove pods that I have had cast from my new mangrove mold. I created the original model by casting a dried out* mangrove pod from a White Mangrove tree.

I came across the pods while on holiday at the Wild Coast earlier this year and I was completely thrilled by them. I am not very familiar with mangrove swamps and this was the first time that I had seen these delightful pods-I collected as many as my sun hat could hold. Tell me again why I decided at the last minute to leave my backpack behind?!

* I cast some of the pods before they had dried out and they are also very lovely. They are quite a bit heavier and less textured than these that are cast from the dried ones. I enjoy both versions though-each have their own charm and beauty.

Below is a collage from the wonderful mangrove/beach walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment